20 Interesting Facts About Beer
Here's to the beer lovers out there! 🍺 💛 🍻 Happy New Year! 🎉🎈🎇
Image: The Wat Pa Maha Chedi Kaew temple in Thailand, constructed with one million bottles of Heineken and local beer.
- Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass. 😱
- The strongest beer in the world has a 67.5% alcohol content. 💪
- Beer is the third-most popular drink on Earth, after water and tea.
- The earliest evidence of beer making was found in western Iran, dating back to 3,500 BC.
- In 1963, Heineken developed beer bottles that could double as glass bricks to build houses. The goal was to eliminate waste and provide a cheap building material for low-income areas. ♻️
- Aristotle claimed that drinkers of wine and other intoxicants fall in random directions, but beer drinkers always fall on their back.
- Stanford researchers found that beer bubbles create a gravity-defying loop. Bubbles head up in the centre where frictional drag from the glass is less and down on the outside as the top gets crowded. ⬆️⬇️
- Beer prevents kidney stones. A study published in American Journal of Epidemiology estimated that a bottle of beer consumed every day reduces the risk by 40%.
- Storing bottled beer upright minimises oxidation and contamination from the cap.
- The term “rule of thumb” originates from brewers who would stick their thumb into the mix to see when the temperature was right for adding the yeast. 👍👎
- Beer was not considered an alcoholic beverage in Russia until 2013.
- The Wat Pa Maha Chedi Kaew temple in Thailand was constructed with 1 million bottles of Heineken and local beer. 🏛️
- In Argentina, political parties have their own brands of beer.
- In Austria, you can swim in pools of beer. 🏊
- Ale is the oldest type of beer and Lagers are the most commonly consumed beers around the world.
- The world’s most expensive beer is an extremely rare bottle, brewed specially for Sir Edward Belcher’s expedition to the Arctic in 1852 and sold in 2007 for over half a million dollars ($503,300). 🤑
- The health benefits of beer include anticancer properties, a reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases, increased bone density, the prevention of dementia and coronary disease, aid to the digestive system, and anti-ageing properties, as well as treating diabetes, gallstones, kidney stones, osteoporosis, and hypertension.
- The builders of the Great Pyramid of Giza were paid with a daily ration of beer.
- The study of beer and beer-making even has an official scientific name - zythology. It derives from the Greek words “zythos” (beer) and “logos” (study). 🎓
- Beer is the world’s most widely consumed alcoholic beverage. 🍺 🌏
Spread the love,
Thoughts Count 💕 🔆
To receive interesting blog posts like this and lots of love in general subscribe here.